Private college grants are available from all of the following among others: nonprofit organizations, clubs, unions, and businesses.
Every organization that offers a private school grant has the right to set its own eligibility requirements. For this reason, you are not going to be eligible for every grant that you find. The more you search the better chance you have of finding one or more that you can apply for.
Steps to Find Private College Grants
Although it is not a necessary requirement in most cases, you should still fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This allows you to be considered for programs such as the Federal Pell Grant.
Below are several steps to follow if you are interested in taking advantage of private school grants:
1. Search online to locate grant programs. Start locally and then expand your search. You have a better chance of success with local organizations as most prefer to help out members of their community.
2. Review the eligibility criteria before applying. This will save you a lot of time. You don’t want to apply for grants that you will not be considered for.
3. Don’t miss the deadline. All private school grants have an application deadline. If you are late you can forget about receiving an award.
4. Upon receiving confirmation that you have been selected, read the fine print. You don’t want to accept or reject a grant until you know what is required of you. Did you know that some private school grants specify that you are not allowed to accept other grants or forms of financial aid? Did you know that some programs require you to pay back the grant if you don’t graduate or maintain a predetermined GPA?
5. Apply your award to tuition, room and board, or other education related expenses.
Tip: a grant should not have to be repaid at anytime in the future. If a particular program requires repayment it is best to move on.
Final Word on Private School Grants
Informed students will consider each and every type of grant program. From federal grants to state grants to those from their school, any award is better than none at all.
Make sure you also consider private school grants. There are thousands of organizations throughout the United States that offer financial help to college students.